Tankari kola re basi duniya bhulili
Tankara pain mu jibana para thili
kebe ghoda kebe hathi au kebe mankada banauthili
tankari anguthi dhari pura raija bulili
thara thara hatare mo mundaku aunsuthila
kuade gala JEJEMAA, tame satare bahut mane pada.
(This poem is written in Odia language which describes how beautiful was the time which I spent with my grandparents during my childhood. I certainly can’t explain how much I miss them now when they are no more in this world).
Grandparents are like grand angels for every child. When they are with you, you kind of forget all the disciplines and rules set by you parents. They have something great in them and that magic can turn every day into fun day.
The grandparents are the first external bond for a child and their presence helps in shaping the child’s emotional development in a much better way. My son may not be that lucky to not have a paternal grandmother but lucky enough to have maternal grandparents. As we stay away from our parents, our kids don’t get that much opportunity to interact with their Grandparents.
Now as my son is getting closure to 3 years old, he is becoming more and more welcoming to guests to our home and who can be better than the Grandparents. This Christmas he spent his holidays with his grandparents and I can see his enjoyment as he was happily playing, dancing and singing around. When I looked into my little boy’s glittering eyes, I realised one thing that every grandparent not only brings a bundle of joys but also plays a crucial character in a child’s life.
Sometime I wonder why our parents push us to plan for children? Then I remember the saying, ‘Mul se sudh jada mitha hota hai’, similarly grandchildren are more dearer to the grandparents. But seriously there is some different level of connection between the grandparent and grandchildren which is so pure and divine.
In this blog, I will share my experience and the impact it created in my toddler’s life (though I can’t count their exhaustive list of contribution but tried my best to give a brief summary for convenient reading).
Benefit of having a grandparent in your child’s life
- They provide a sense of security: During tough times they give an extra layer of support. I remember those days, when my husband is down with Dengue and hospitalized and I have no idea how to manage with my baby, then my mother came as the life saviour, which truly was a blessing for all 3 of us.
- They come with enormous experience: Grandparent often transfer knowledge and experience about our culture and tradition by telling stories, so that a child can able to understand his origin and his family history. According to my experience, stories always help in shaping a child’s mindset towards a strong individual (My son loves to listen stories and I have experienced a very positive result).
- They offer an affordable child care option: I am not able to take advantage of this offer because we are living in a long distance, but I am quite sure those who have this option, they are lucky as grandparent can give additional care in bringing up a child and stands firmly with you in every situation.
- Child rebel in presence of grandparent but in a safe manner: Grandparent always have a different way of discipline and advice which includes a lot of patience and ideas. They will spoil your child with lots of love but with a semblance of comfort and safety. Personally, when grandparents are there, my son does not listen to a single thing of mine (of course till the time I make it clear that I am the boss for him).
- Your child gets to know an alternate life: Grandparent mostly transfer 2-generation experience and knowledge which will give you a treasure box of funny moments and stories. They bring the most important thing for the child in the form of live recordings of his parent’s childhood. Though my baby is small now and he is not able to understand or raise these queries, but those days are not far away.
Tips for bonding
Those who have grandparent living with them, they may not need these tips but families where grandparents are living far away, it is our responsibilities to create a strong bond between them. Below are some tips which I followed for my toddler which helps me to create a positive bonding between them.
- Video calling: We are changing the world with technology and I think same can also be a great help while building long distanced relationship. I started video calling daily at a particular time when my baby was only 7 months old and now, he eagerly waits for that time for video calling his grandparents.
- Photo memories: Capture the special moments of the grandparents with your child in the camera lens. Show the picture often to your kids so that they can cherish that moments and it also helps in creating a strong bond.
- Talking about grandparent: From the beginning, I started telling stories to my son about his grandparents (although not the serious ones but imaginative/fiction) and it really has got very good results.
- Creating a family tree: This is again a great one to help your kids and also you to relate with your great grandparents. For creating a family tree, you can take help from your parents as well.
- Visiting as often as possible: This is certainly the best way to connect your child to his grandparents and also helps him understand their background. You can try to celebrate some family function together, have your vacation at your native, etc. which can really help you as well to remember your old memories. That way grandchildren can get some more time to spend with their grandparent and know about their customs and tradition.
Grandparent helps in raising a happy adult and as a child to your parents, you can talk about parenting issue & can solve them without much difficulties. Their experience will show you a new path.
Parents and children of today face a very different world than those of the previous generation. Awareness of these differences can help today’s parents navigate the role of grandparents in a child’s development in life and at the same time help grandparents to play a special role in the family.
I hope my article about grandparent will help bonding your child to his/her grandparent and will get their share of love. If you like this article, do share your valuable feedback.